Strengthen your business with Vocational Education and Training
Integrating vocational education and training (VET) into your business gives you and your business a competitive edge. Recruiting a trainee provides you with a worker who is keen to learn and who can be trained in the targeted skills your business needs, now and in the future. In today’s job market, many applicants consider training opportunities a key reason for choosing an employer.
The NSW Government Fee Free Traineeship Initiative
Under the NSW Government Fee Free Traineeship Initiative, NSW trainees that commence their training on or after 1 January 2020 may be eligible for fee free training. For eligible trainees there will be no requirement to pay the fee.
Why recruit a Trainee?
Businesses both large and small have increased their bottom line and enjoyed sustainable growth by providing training to trainees.
Employing a trainee provides you with a worker who is keen to learn and who will be trained to your specific business requirements.
You can choose whether you want someone full-time or permanent part-time, depending on your business needs.
Full-time trainees work and train for an average of 38 hours a week.
Depending on the vocational course, part-time trainees may work and train for at least 21 hours a week.
How does it work?
- paid employment under an industrial arrangement;
- a legally binding training contract between you and your trainee;
- structured workplace training;
- formal study and skills development organised through a registered training organisation, such as TAFE NSW, an adult or community training organisation, or a private provider;
- a nationally recognised qualification.
Traineeships are available to anyone over 15 years of age.
How to employ a Trainee
Before you can put the right training in place for your business, you need to identify the skills needs of your workplace and your workers.
To do this, you can follow these four basic steps:
- Give your business a health check;
- Consult your staff;
- Create a training needs profile;
- Establish a training and development plan.